This course focuses on the intriguing relationships between language and culture. Various cultural factors affecting communication will be identified, with specific reference to Asian languages. Examples from Chinese (including various dialects) will be given to illustrate the importance of cultural frames in interpersonal communication in the Asian setting.
Grades will be based on classroom attendance and participation (30%), projects and presentations (30%), and final project/paper (40%).
CLASS SCHEDULE (tentative, to be adjusted according to student needs):
1. 10/1/2002 L#1: Introduction to major topics covered in the course
2. 17/1/02 L#2: The link between language and culture: The story of "what" and its siblings
3. 24/1/02 L#3: Understanding language from a cultural perspective
4. 31/1/02 L#4: Reflections on linguistic behavior in your own culture
5. 7/2/02 L#5: Summary of topics on language and culture
First project due: presentation on relationship between language and culture
(14/2/02 PUBLIC HOLIDAY)
6. 21/2/02 L#6: The Chinese language family and major languages in Asia
7. 28/2/02 L#7: Languages, dialects and their social contexts
8. 7/3/02 L#8: Asian languages and the cultures behind
9. 14/3/02 L#9: Summary of topics on Asian languages
Second project due: language profile of any major language or dialect in Asia
10. 21/3/02 L#10: Communication settings: linguistic, cultural and beyond
11. 28/3/02 L#11: Cultural framework in communication
12. 4/4/02 L#12: Linguistic proficiency vs cultural proficiency
13. 11/4/02 L#13: Improving communication skills with linguistic and cultural appropriateness
Third project due: examples with explanation of cultural framework in communication
14. 18/4/02 L#14: Summary of major topics covered in the course
NOTES: 1. Projects/presentations are scheduled to avoid mid-term rush. Final paper will be based on one of the three presentations.
2. Lectures are given in English, while discussions, questions and answers can be in English, Putonghua or Cantonese.
Dr. Wu Weiping (吴伟平博士)